Red Lettuce is a nutrient-dense leaf vegetable that is a rich source of various antioxidants and vitamins like vitamin A, K, and C. Additionally, lettuce has anti-inflammatory properties, lowers cholesterol levels, and is low in calories. Add lettuce to your salads, sandwiches, or eat it just as a snack to enjoy the great health benefits.
Sprouts in: 1 - 2 weeks
Harvest in: 5 - 18 weeks
- Red Lettuce is a heat-sensitive plant that germinates faster and produces more growth if grown at 64 to 72 °F (18 to 22°C). If the temperature is higher than 75°F (24°C) then germination is inhibited and plants tend to bolt, which may cause the flavor to become bitter. Overall grows best in temperatures between 18 - 24 °C / 64 - 75 °F.
- It is an annual plant and has the best nutritional value 30 to 35 days after the pod has been planted. Start using lettuce leaves before the plant ages and loses its signature flavor.
- Lettuce grows best if the lamp has just one arm! If the lamp is set too low it may burn your thriving plants. If the lamp is set too high your plants will grow leggy and produce less yield.
- Lettuce is a fast-growing but also short-lived plant. As the plant pod matures, your lettuce may start bolting (growing a flower stalk) and the flavor will change from mild to bitter. So, it now makes sense to harvest your lettuce in one go.
- Red Lettuce is a wonderful source of antioxidants, especially thanks to anthocyanins that also add the fancy red color to the leaves. More red literally means more health benefits!